FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Anthony Beckford has spent his entire career helping people. He is a single father, community advocate and public servant delivering and fighting for one of the most diverse Council districts in New York State.
Media Contact: 347-729-9775
"A new report has confirmed that the number of children in NYCHA housing poisoned by lead is rising. I am angered and disgusted by this. I have stood side by side with NYCHA residents, helping to fight for proper lead removal, repairs and garbage pickups. Mayor Bill De'Blasio, City Council Speaker Corey Johnson and Various Other Elected Officials have failed our NYCHA residents. They have provided nothing but lip service and have not committed to action. Recently at Glenwood Houses, I did a quick clean up due to Sanitation not providing adequate clean ups. I have taken many tours of NYCHA buildings around the City and I am disgusted with the City and with NYCHA turning their backs on not only the Seniors and Working Families/Individuals, but also on the Children. Our Future are these Children and they are beinf let down and their health and lives are put in danger on a daily basis. This is Senior Abuse. This is Child Endangerment. This is violation of Tenants Rights.
I am demanded a thorough and adequate removal of lead from all NYCHA housing, as well as adequate repairs and consistent trash pick up. Anything less will not be tolerated and will not be acceptable." - Anthony Beckford
Governor Andrew Cuomo Proposed an MTA Fare Increase, that will cause the moderate and low income families and individuals in New York City to through further financial strains. Our housing cost is rising and now our transportation cost will rise, yet again. Enough is Enough. We will not just stand by as billion dollar corporations and their sidekick elected officials continue to hurt the people of our Great City.
Under Coumo's Fare Increase, Single Fares will go from $2.75 to $3.50 and monthly metrocards will go from $121.00 to $154.00.
We Do Not Need A Fare Increase!
We Need Affordable to No Cost Fares, Adequate Repairs, Reliable Service, Accessible Train Stations, Clean Train Stations.
As the Voice of the People, when I become your new City Council Member, I will be working alongside transportation advocates and community leaders to introduce my Transportation Justice For All Bill, that will provide fare rollbacks for everyone. This will bring single ride fares down to $1.75 and monthly metrocards will be reduced to $100.
In that same bill, I will put action behind words and create more accessible subway stations for the elderly and disabled. There will be an independent investigative body that will review the finances of the MTA and find out where the money has been going that should have been used for the necessary repairs and hold all individuals who are responsible for the neglect of our subway riders to be held fully accountable.
This is my promise for my first 30 days in Office. It is time for New Yorkers to start being able to Live and not just Surviving.Read more
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Housing & Small Business: Anthony Beckford is part of various Tenants Rights grassroots organizations and Community Board 17’s Housing Sub-committee. Anthony Beckford has made it his mission to advocate for tenants and homeowners who are being harassed by corrupt landlords and greedy developers. In his first 30 days in office, Anthony Beckford will introduce his Housing Justice Bill to provide Rent Rollbacks, eliminate Preferential Rent from leases, strengthen rent laws, eliminate MCIs, turn shelters into permanent housing, hold slumlords accountable for their negligence of tenants and violation of tenant's rights through increased fines and imprisonment. Anthony Beckford will make sure that homeowners are able to obtain resources and assistance to help them catch up on their property taxes owed and provide assistance for them to be able to repair their homes. In regards to Small Businesses, Anthony Beckford will continue to advocate for the passing of the #SBJSA (Small Business Jobs Survival Act)
- Criminal Justice: Anthony Beckford is the leader of the Brooklyn Sector of Copwatch Patrol Unit, a grassroots police accountability group. He will introduce bills that provide full accountability of all law enforcement officers and Repeal 50a, so that the disciplinary records of the officers are no longer hidden. Anthony Beckford has been very vocal in his opposition to the plan to build new jails and has been advocating to End the Cash Bail System. Anthony Beckford believes in restorative justice and has committed time and effort to show the positive impact it has. He has stood by community residents who have been wrongfully accused and convicted of crimes they did not commit and has been by the sides of the families who have lost loved ones to Police Violence in New York and throughout the country.
- Immigration Rights: Anthony Beckford is the son of Jamaican Immigrants. He has been working to provide permanent residency for all TPS and DACA holders and a fast track process to provide citizenship to all immigrants not only in Flatbush and East Flatbush, but throughout New York. Anthony Beckford has been advocating for the families who have been separated by the Trump Administration and has been advocating consistently for the reunification of the children and their families. #AbolishICE
Healthcare: Anthony Beckford supports and has advocated alongside the New York State Nurses Association and HEAL NY for the New York Health Act, which will provide healthcare for all no matter your income or immigration status. Anthony Beckford has also pushed for the ban of Conversion Therapy, for a Women's Right To Choose, as well as living wages and reimbursements for Birth Doulas. People in District 45, as well as the rest of New York deserve access to affordable quality healthcare which
includes family planning services like coverage of contraception and reproductive services.
- Education: Anthony Beckford has always been an advocate for education when it comes to our children. His start was at the age of 12, when he stopped the racist agenda of rezoning School District 18, which would have caused a catastrophic defunding and further segregation of the schools. Anthony understands the needs of our children and the structure that is needed for them to have an adequate education. Anthony Beckford has been fighting for the release of the $1.4 Billion that is owed to New York City Public Schools. As a City Councilmember, Anthony Beckford will create an avenue that will have those funds released to the schools and make sure that the teachers are provided with adequate resources to teach our children. Anthony Beckford is advocating for more School Counselors and Social Workers and Less Cops in Schools. There will also be his push for Cultural Sensitivity training for all Educators and Administrators and the decrease of suspensions. Anthony Beckford is also the lead Advocate for the Black History Education Bill, which will provide a mandated year round curriculum of Black History in schools throughout New York State as well as Cultural Responsive Training for all Teachers and Administrators. Anthony Beckford will be bringing Trade Programs back into Public Schools, expand the Free Breakfast and Lunch Programs to more schools during the Summer and work with New York City Schools to create Youth Leadership Programs. Also, FREE COLLEGE FOR ALL!!
- Marijuana: Anthony Beckford supports for the full legalization and decriminalization of marijuana. He wants the records of all low level offenders to be wiped clean and for this currently incarcerated to be released immediately. The prohibition must end. Anthony Beckford plans to use the funds from marijuana sales to help fund public schools, community centers, provide senior, middle class and low income housing, as well as to help the state's current deficit.
- Workers Rights: Anthony Beckford supports workers and Unions. Workers must have adequate health care, livable wages, safe work conditions and much more. Anthony Beckford has stood on the frontlines with members of DC37, 1199SEIU, 32BJSEIU, CWA, AFL-CIO, UFT and many other Major Unions and Locals on various occasions, including during the Janus Decision and during the Government Shutdown.
- LGBTQ Rights: Anthony Beckford advocated for the Ban on Conversion Therapy and for the passing of G.E.N.D.A. Anthony Beckford has been a true ally to the LGBTQ community, especially LGBTQ People of Color.
- Gun Violence: Anthony Beckford recently lost a loved one to gun violence. He has been marching with Councilman Jumaane Williams, Senator Kevin Parker and various advocates at the yearly East Flatbush Anti-Violence march. He will introduce his “Save Our Youth” initiative which will help keep our communities safe from further Gun and Gang Violence through peer mediation, employment opportunities, funding for summer programs, etc.
- Environment: Anthony Beckford is a huge supporter of the Green New Deal and has been helping to advocate for more Community Gardens, the shutdown of all pipelines and was one of the many voices that called for the end to fracking.
- Fair Elections: Anthony Beckford has been consistent in his advocacy for Election Reform along with Organizations, such as Brooklyn Voters Alliance and others. Anthony has supports Ranked Choice Voting and is pushing for the NYC Council Charter to add it to the ballot in November. Anthony also supports closing the LLC Loophole and giving back Parolees their Right To Vote.
Anthony Beckford is a Single Father, Disabled U.S. Marine Corps Veteran, Community Advocate, Activist and son of Jamaican Immigrants. Over the years, he has worked alongside elected officials such as Jumaane Williams, Tish James, Brad Lander, as well as many Community Based Non-Profit and Grassroots Organizations in regards to Gun Violence, Mental Health, Housing, Public Safety, Immigration and other issues in the community. Beckford graduated from Midwood High School and attended Monroe College in New Rochelle, NY to major in Business Administration. Back in school, he is now a Junior taking Online classes through Southern New Hampshire University. He is pursuing his Bachelors in Psychology - Mental Health. Anthony Beckford has been a member of Christian Cultural Center (originally Christian Life Center) since he was 13 years old, and had the opportunity to receive guidance from Pastor A.R. Bernard and his wife Elder Karen regarding life, leadership, integrity and compassion.
Anthony Beckford is the Leader of the Brooklyn Sector of Copwatch Patrol Unit, which is a grassroots police accountability group that documents police interactions in the community as well as protests. The efforts of Copwatch has helped lead to many of the Criminal Justice Reforms we have today. He is also the President and Co-Founder of Black Lives Matter Brooklyn and is the Lead Advocate to bring a year round curriculum of Black History into the the New York School Curriculum. His work and dedication has been consistent and his integrity is unmatched.
As a Community Advocate, Anthony Beckford has been one of the most consistent in the work that he does. He has fought for Affordable Housing, Immigration Rights, Women Rights, LGBTQ Rights, Workers Rights and Reproductive Rights, Disability Rights, Adequate funding and resources for our children's public schools as well as Police Accountability. He has been a strong supporter of G.E.N.D.A., providing Permanent Residency to all TPS and DACA Holders from Haiti, Sudan, Nicaragua, Mexico, Venezuela, etc., a Woman's Right to Choose, Raise The Age, Fight for 15 and so much more. He helped the community shut down a racist Nail Salon in East Flatbush, where three Black Women were viciously beaten with broomsticks and acetone thrown in their faces to blind them. Beckford, was the initial Advocate who came to the aid of Ms. Ann Marie Washington, an Afro Caribbean Woman from Trinidad, who was the victim of a viscous hate crime attack at the Church Avenue B/Q Train Station that left her with a collapsed lung. Mr. Beckford has been advocating against the escalation of Hate Crimes against the Black, Muslim and Jewish Communities in the District and throughout New York City Non-Stop. Anthony Beckford, has been on the frontlines in various movements such as Families Belong Together, Black Lives Matter, New York Health Act and Housing Justice For All alongside organizations such as Flatbush Tenant Coalition, NYCC, Equality for Flatbush, Citizen Action of New York, HEAL NY, as well as Unions such as, DC 37, 1199SEIU, Teamsters and others.
Anthony Beckford was recently awarded citations by Borough President Eric Adams, for his outstanding services and support for local residents and Those in need; from Councilmember Mathieu Eugene for his efforts in Stopping Gun and Gang Violence in our Communities; and the Citation of Honor from Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez for his exemplary steadfast dedication to public service as well as his unwavering commitment to humanity, servant leadership and invaluable efforts to enhance the quality of life.
Anthony Beckford is a member of various Progressive groups such as; DSA, Ernest Skinner Political Association (ESPA), Jews For Racial and Economical Justice (JFREJ), National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC), Brooklyn Young Democrats, Brooklyn Young Democrats, New Kings Democrats, Muslim Democratic Club of New York, Working Families Party, NYPAN, BPAN, CBID, Central Brooklyn Political Action Association, Green Party Black Caucus, Lambda Independent Democrats, Brooklyn Progressive Alliance, Obama Foundation's "My Brother's Keeper" and many others.
Anthony Beckford is the representation that the communities of Flatbush, East Flatbush, Midwood, Marine Park and Flatlands can always depend on to help fight for their rights and to continue to work for the best interest of the residents in the community. He is a true believer if bringing empowerment and Unity to the District, which is why he is known for his slogan, TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Anthony Beckford is your next 45th District City Council Member.
Anthony Beckford with City Councilman Jumaane Williams
Anthony Beckford with NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer
Anthony Beckford with NYS Attorney General Tish James
Anthony Beckford with Congresswoman Yvette Clark
Anthony Beckford with NYS Senator Kevin Parker
Anthony Beckford standing up against R.E.B.N.Y.
Anthony Beckford and Councilman Brad Lander
Anthony Beckford with Senator Julia Salazar
Anthony Beckford and Assemblyman Nick Perry
Anthony Beckford with Assemblyman Epstein, DC 37 Vice President / Local 372 President Shaun Francois & Assemblyman Ortiz